2010 Wrap Up, Looking Ahead to 2011
Thank you so much to everyone who participated in the inaugural year of the Classic Reads Book Club. Heather and I couldn’t be happier about how everything went this year. This whole thing started because I wanted to reread “East of Eden,” and now we have progressed to having a different blogger facilitating a read-along of a classic they love every quarter. As a reminder, here is what we covered this year:
- Jen from Devourer of Books led “East of Eden” by John Steinbeck
- Heather from Capricious Reader led “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” by Betty Smith
- Trish from Hey Lady, Whatcha Readin’? led “A Handmaid’s Tale” by Margaret Atwood
- Chris from Stuff as Dreams are Made on led “We Have Always Lived in the Castle” by Shirley Jackson
I am really looking forward to what we have coming in 2011, we have some great bloggers lined up to facilitate discussions on great books.
- In the first part of 2011, Andi from Estella’s Revenge will be leading us in discussing “The Good Earth” by Pearl S. Buck. Expect to see a schedule from her posted sometime shortly after the new year, but go ahead and grab your copy now! This is a favorite of mine and I haven’t read it for years.
- Sometime April – June, Nymeth from Things Mean a Lot will facilitating for “A Room of One’s Own” by Virginia Woolf. I’ve actually never read any of Woolf’s work, so I can’t wait to have someone who loves her to discuss the book with.
- Later in the summer, Michelle from My Books. My Life. will lead a discussion on “Madame Bovary” by Gustave Flaubert. Michelle and I (at least) will be reading from the new translation by Lydia Davis from Penguin, and we would encourage those interested to pick up that version as well.
If you are interested in possibly leading a discussion in the future, you can indicate your willingness here, or email me at jen(at)devourerofbooks.com.